Monday, May 25, 2009

SEATTLE ~ DAY 2

I LOVE IT HERE!  The weather was so magnificent in Seattle, I decided to stay another day. The day started at the Crumpet Shop (I had never had a crumpet!)



Best I can figure it, a crumpet seems to be a cross between an English muffin (only better) and a pancake. It's about the best thing I've ever eaten. Naturally, it was slathered with butter and jam.  Soooo good!




And, this was the nice view from the crumpet shop.



Next was a stroll back over to the public market - where I encountered this man in a lovely hat.



Again, this seems to be the place to be on any given day.



Some nice vegetable art.



The produce was all locally grown and beautiful.



This was the fish market.  It's a big deal when you buy a fish and the guy throws it at you.  I didn't wait around for that; quite frankly, I couldn't get out of there quick enough!  People were whooping and hollering and carrying on about the dead-fish-toss!  Personally, I don't want a dead fish thrown anywhere near me! 



Next was a stop at a place called Gas Works Park on Lake Union.  You get a magnificent view of Seattle from this hilltop park.   Oh, what a beautiful day!   You can see the Space Needle on the right.


Spectacular day to be out on the water.



People were out enjoying the beautiful weather.










The park was cleared in 1906 to construct a plant to manufacture gas from coal  (hence the name Gas Works Park).  The city acquired the site for a park in 1962, and it was opened to the public in 1975.




One of the many things I loved about Seattle were these houseboats.



Some were more elaborate than others.



These people park their sailboat in front of their houseboat.





I loved the ones with picket fences.






Of course, there were regular land houses also. This was a pretty neighborhod by the water.






No visit to Seattle would be complete without a visit to Troll Avenue N - where a big troll sits under the freeway. (I am NOT making this up!)



The troll is crushing a real Volkswagon Bug under his right hand (you can see the back wheel). A hubcap is his right eye.



To get a perspective of how big the troll is, there is a kid by his left hand.



Seattle has some of the prettiest flowers I have seen.  It was a beautiful city and I enjoyed my days here!








Sadly, I am bidding a fond farewell to the 5.  It's been good to me!




 I am headed eastbound on I-90 - with this view (not bad).



This is Washington State’s Wild Horses Monument (visible from I-90) that sits way up on a mountain. Look at the crazy people climbing up to get close to it (lower left) - unlike myself, who put on a zoom lens and never got out of the car!


It was a very cool monument!  I love roadside attractions and art in public places!


And, the crazy people made it to the top.


My day was complete with this beautiful sunset!