Monday, May 25, 2009

IDAHO and MONTANA

In driving through Idaho today, I expected to see flat ground and potatos - quite the contrary. It was an amazingly scenic drive through the Idaho Panhandle National Forest. There were huge trees and mountains that went on for miles and miles - I did not see one potato.








This sweet horse was standing on the side of the road just begging me to take her picture.





SUNSHINE DISASTER (1972)

In 1972 there was a mine disaster in which 91 miners died (85 made it out alive). It was the worst mine disaster since 1917. This monument is for the 91 who perished. It sits off of I-90 at Big Creek Road (halfway between Kellogg and Wallace, Idaho) and is an historic landmark.





It is a beautiful way to honor those who died.



In front of the statute were grave markers and flags for every man who died.




This plaque listed all the names of the dead.




This is the oldest church in Idaho.




As I entered Montana, I saw much of the same; big trees, mountains and open land for miles and miles!







As I continued into Montana, it was a lot more of beautiful scenery. And, this billboard. This seems to be the thing to do in Montana!! (I am NOT making this up!)






Just outside of Butte, Montana, stands Our Lady of the Rockies, a 90-foot tall statue made to resemble Mary, mother of Jesus. The statue is dedicated to all women.





It was started in 1979, but not completed until 1985. The Montana National Guard had to lift it into place atop the East Ridge. It stands at an elevation of 8510 feet.