Monday, May 4, 2009

SKY CITY (New Mexico) to PETRIFIED FOREST (Arizona)

The day started with a visit to the Pueblo of Acoma (Sky City) Tribe in New Mexico. Their homes are way up on top of the rocks; there is no electricity or running water. They create beautiful pots and jewelry to earn a living.  We met a wonderful young man who was on the side of the road selling his magnificent pots.  It is such a different way of life than what my life involves; it is unimaginable to me.  He was very interesting to talk to and I enjoyed my time spent on this reservation.  The surrounding area of the reservation is beautiful.  Photographs and video recordings are stricly prohibited unless you purchase a permit.  I bought a permit to take the photographs, so they are legitimate (believe me, I was stopped several times, including by reservation police, to make sure I had the permit).




Again, I had a permit to take these photographs.



The road to Sky City is long.





Being that these homes have no running water, they get their water supply from this little pond.



This is Sky City.




This is just a sample of the gorgeous surrounding land.









My photo permit:






As I continued on my journey west, I crossed the Continental Divide driving through New Mexico. I don't exactly understand what the Continental Divide is, but the sign was pretty.



I left New Mexico and went into Arizona to the Petrified National Forest. What a beautiful, yet harsh, place (I'm trying to find a word besides "beautiful" but that best describes it!). The rock formations with the vibrant colors of the Painted Desert were breathtaking! The petrified wood was all over the forest, some with crystals still in it.






THE PAINTED DESERT







Also, there were a lot of petroglyphs, which have become my new favorite thing (I just love saying petroglyph)!  They are so interesting to me, especially this one of a bird eating a baby (my favorite!).










Met this big guy in the Petrified Forest. Look closely at his beak; seems he just had a bloody meal!




There is lots of petrified wood in this national park (hey, maybe that's why it's called the Petrified Forest!).






On this one, you can see crystals in it.



Some ruins in the park.





I hope the people who were in this car were rescued!  It is very, very harsh out here in the middle of nowhere.



I don't see how these flowers survive!






Last, but not least, I ended up "Standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona, such a fine sight to see!" [Name that tune!]



Soooo cheesy!   I am a sucker for a roadside attraction!