Wednesday, May 13, 2009

MONTEREY, CALIFORNIA

While an aquarium is not normally my thing, I went today to the Monterey Aquarium. I kept hearing how great it was.





It was a really nice aquarium. The best part were the jellies (pictured above) and the amazing array of seahorses (pictured below). Look closely at the seahorses. Some look like plants.





This is a seahorse (above) and a leafy seadragon (below) -- I think.  I might not be the best at telling them apart
.



Seahorse or Seadragon??


These were sanddollars. It's a living creature, not something you buy dried out in a shell store.




This is a sleeping sea otter.



I forget what this was - let's just call it a green water snake.



The starfish were so vibrant.  I believe this might have been the first time I saw an alive starfish.  Again, these are things that should live in the sea - not dead in a shell store.



This was the creepiest thing I have ever seen (it's a Skate).  It was some kind of embryo. The mother lays the embryo in this pocket thingy, where they live for a year. You can see its face and guts. There was an adult one in the tank and it kinda looks like a small man-o-ray. Super creepy.




This is the adult.  He looks a little more normal!




These are corals. The colors were just amazing.








There was a penquin tank. They were so cute!



This is a big sea kelp tank and a frogman gets in it and feeds the fish - including sharks.






Monterey is such a nice town.  Right near the aquarium was a restaurant on the water.  I didn't care what they served me, as long as I could sit outside and soak up the amazing view.





I know I have said this a million times; but, here I go again:  LIFE IS GOOD!!   I'm sitting here in Monterey, California, looking out at this:







I watched this goose while I was having lunch. He was with his wife on the beach, and he swam out in the ocean.



She stood on the shore honking for him to come back!



He wouldn't listen (typical man!), so she had to go out and get him.



This seagull flew in on the table next to me. He ignored the basket of bread and went right for the vat of butter, which he opened up and ate!!




Last, but not least, more beautiful flowers!  Monterey was a nice little town. I enjoyed it!