Friday, June 5, 2009

KYMULGA GRIST MILL (Alabama)

I have one last place I want to post. I was driving through a very remote area of Alabama, and came across a sign that read, “Covered Bridge--Turn Here.” I love covered bridges, so I turned. What I found was not only an amazing covered bridge, but two of the nicest people I have ever met. The covered bridge ended up being an old mill (still a working mill) called the Kymulga Grist Mill. It was built in the 1860’s and is located 4 miles northeast of Childersburg, Alabama. There is a very interesting history to it and it is on the National Register of Historic Places. The two lovely people I met sell the corn meal to the public and provide meal and grits to stores and shops. It was a very educational experience and I was so glad I stopped there. I have no idea what corn meal is used for, but I bought my father a bag of it!  I just wanted to support this historic place.