Tuesday, April 28, 2009

MIAMI TO TEXAS (Austin)

Left Miami Monday night and arrived in Austin Tuesday night - 20 hours; not bad. Listening to the weather report tonight in Austin, I hear there were tornados, flooding and horrible weather every where I was. I didn't see any of that - a little cloudy, that's it.




After arriving in Austin tonight, I saw the coolest thing.  This is the Congress Street Bridge, and two million Mexican Free-Tail Bats live under it. Every night at dusk, the bats fly out looking for food. It is a positively beautiful sight.








This is one of the largest world's largest urban bat colonies.






Here are some close-ups of the bats.  They are so small and moving so fast, besides it being dark, they are very hard to photograph.




A little bird was keeping me company while I was waiting for the bats!



Austin at night.



I didn't really spend a lot of time in Austin.  The next day, I walked around the town a little.  It's a big music town, so there were guitars and music stores everywhere.  It's a nice place!

I am assuming this building is the capital building.










A little video of the bats
[click the play button]:



The nitwit in the background yapping is NOT me!